Grandmaster (国王, Kokuou) is the fourth episode of the No Game No Life (Series) anime series. It first aired in Japan on April 30, 2014 on AT-X, and later on May 2, 2014 on other networks.
Plot summary[edit | edit source]
After several struggles, Sora and Shiro manage to defeat Chlammy Zell. They, however cannot agree upon who of them is to become "King" and start a strain of endless games to decide who it is that should be crowned. After more than a day, Sora realizes that there was never a need to just have 1 king. This discovery brings an end to their competition. They are crowned the king and queen of the Elchea Kingdom. Later on, they are approached by Tet, who confirms that they may play against him for the title of "One True God", should they be able to conquer all the other Exceed in the world and thus obtain all the chess pieces needed for the challenging game. They accept his challenge with a smile.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
The following characters are listed by the order which they appear in.
Major characters[edit | edit source]
Minor characters[edit | edit source]
- Speaking roles
- Former king of Imanity (flashback)
- Elderly official
- Minister of Agriculture
- Minister of Economy
- Hatsuse Ino
- Non-speaking roles
Events[edit | edit source]
For games, the challenger is listed before the challenged party.
- Conclusion of the match of chess between the siblings and Chlammy Zell
- Result: The siblings win
- Coronation of the siblings (interrupted several times by Sora and Shiro due to the misunderstanding that there could only be one king/queen)
- 3-day-long match of normal 'Old maid' between the siblings
- Result: Tie
- Compulsory rock-paper-scissors match between Sora and the Imanity ministers, where Sora plays scissors and all ministers are forced to play paper
- Coronation speech by the siblings to the Imanity, in which Sora declares war against all other races
- Tet shows up and confirms that he wants to have a rematch when the siblings defeat all the other races
Key differences from light novel[edit | edit source]
In the light novel,
- The Race Piece did not magically appear in the sky during the siblings' coronation speech.
- Tet did not appear out of no where to speak to the siblings, nor did he teleport them to the roof. Instead, Stephanie unknowingly brought Tet into the king's meeting room while she was still wearing the maid outfit.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This is the first episode in which the title's katakana has a different meaning from its kanji. The katakana (グランド・マスター) reads 'grandmaster', while the kanji (国王) means 'king of the country'.